- How far along: 25 weeks
- Baby's size: Ear of corn
- Total weight gain: <2 lbs. (due to Whole30)
- Baby's heart rate: 160 bpm at last check
- Maternity clothes: All day every day
- Gender: Boy
- Baby names: Done and done. Sometimes I can't believe how much I love his name. Other times I second-guess it. I felt the same with Rooney, so I'm gonna just trust the fact that it's the only name Eric and I both got excited about. Silly hormones. He's named after a band we used to listen to in college (as is Rooney). Music was a huge part of our dating relationship and I love that our kids have that in common.
- Movement: He's moving a lot and kicking really strong!
- Sleep: I have been staying up pretty late. I can't believe we're going to have a newborn in just a few months and how little sleep we will be getting!
- What I miss: Laying flat on my back
- Cravings: Sugary treats!
- Nursery update: We painted last week! We also finished our geometric statement wall that you can see in these photos (I will post about it soon). Next up: Closet makeover! Then paint the crib and dresser, and make some canvas art. There's actually quite a bit left to do before he comes!
- Mommy thoughts:
- I really really really love the second trimester. I am kind of sad that this will probably be the last time I'll be pregnant!
- Wow, 25 weeks feels really real! Just a few months left!
- I have been very forgetful lately. I drove 20 blocks past my turn the other day, and also forgot it was Beach Day at Rooney's school.
- We have another ultrasound next week to check my placenta shape and how he's growing!
dress: Old Navy
belt: One Little Belt
leggings: Cherokee hand-me-down
boots: Sonoma via Kohl's
Rooney filled up her reward jar last weekend, which meant she got to pick a fun family adventure. She chose "ice cream shop," so as soon as Menchie's opened at noon, we were there! It was hard for Eric and I though because we couldn't have any (but the Whole30 end is in sight!). I love Rooney's fro yo theory. She walks right past all the fro yo and goes straight to the toppings. Marshmallows, gummy worms and peach rings are always her favorites!
I wasn't sure I'd ever make it to week 3, so it feels kind of crazy to be recapping it! People have been asking if I feel better and...I don't know. Eric doesn't know either. I have seen some changes in my body, which I'll recap at the end. I think being pregnant makes it harder for me to really know though. Like, am I tired because I'm pregnant? Or because my body is still used to relying on sugar for energy? Or because it's hella hard to get enough calories eating this way? Maybe all of the above. I'm not tired all the time so I think it's mostly the pregnancy though. And week 3 was waaaaay better than weeks 1 and 2. I might know better if I'm feeling better AFTER it's over and we reintroduce grains, cheese and sugar, if they makes us feel terrible. I definitely still miss some comfort foods!
- I accidentally took a drink of Rooney's smoothie, which had non-compliant coconut milk in it (carrrageenan). Oops! It was just one drink though and I didn't notice a difference in how I felt.
- Because I'm pregnant and trying to gain weight, I have to drink a smoothie AND eat an entire cup of cashews every single day to reach my goal caloric intake (2,300 calories). This is really expensive! Here's a good article on keeping on weight during Whole30 for anyone else who is going through this.
- We had such an awesome dinner! I can't seem to get enough beef and was craving a hamburger so Eric googled how to make a Smashburger and then totally replicated it! It was so delicious. The ketchup is from Tessemae's. I think on Day 1 it may have tasted terrible but my palate was totally down with it tonight.
- I'm feeling really ... empowered. Sugar was one of my main food groups before Whole30, and I've now gone more than two weeks without it, something I had never done before and was really scared to do. If I can do it (especially while pregnant), so can you. I don't want to be a food snob and I won't deny that the first two weeks completely sucked, but I feel pretty good right now.
- I had a dream that I went out to eat with my coworkers and didn't remember I was on Whole30 and ate fried foods and soda ... and then felt really guilty :/
- I also had a dream about smoothies and counting calories
- I woke up with a headache, but it didn't last long
- Eric made steak for breakfast! It was such a nice change up. We love our steaks baked. We usually follow this recipe but this time just used ghee.
- Eric wrote a blog post on how much we've spent so far. Spoiler: We're $98 over budget, and only halfway done.
- Getting bored! Sick of smoothies! I did not get all my calories in today. We actually had a discussion about quitting, but we will power through.
- We are 2/3 done!
- I saw a chocolate muffin at the grocery store and wanted it so badly
- We went to a birthday party for Rooney's friend and I really wanted a croissant and chips and cake! Oh, the cake looked so yummy!
- Some days I can picture myself continuing this diet, and sometimes Eric and I talk about how we're going to go back to our old way of eating. So, I don't know for certain what life will look like after the Whole30!
- We took Rooney out for frozen yogurt because she filled up her reward jar and that's what she picked. It was pretty hard to not be able to fill up a bowl for myself.
- I have stayed up til 1:00 am the past two nights, working on blog stuff, and sleeping only six hours. I've had lots of ideas floating around in my head so so just stay up. Hard to say if this is pregnancy brain a or Whole30 productivity "success."
- Dinner was amazing tonight! Eric grilled organic chicken drummies from Costco! Here is the all-purpose dry rub recipe he used. We will definitely be making them again this later week. Maybe my favorite meal so far!
- I am such a slow eater! We had steaks tonight and I was still at the table chewing when Roo was done with her bath.
- Eating out at Applebee's (my favorite restaurant!) right now would feel like such a splurge/treat, instead of the "norm" like before. I'm so curious what our diet will look like in a few months.
- Eric is waning! He thinks he wants to quit on Day 28 (Rooney's birthday party). If I was going to quit, it would have been Day 1! I don't want to stop before 30 days now, even though the party might stink (and her actual birthday, too). One thing that's different for me is that I work in an office and am exposed to lots of non-compliant food, but he's not. But, he's also the one doing most of the cooking (we split the dishes), so I can't say that I blame him. I never would have made it this far without him.
- I always used to dip my carrots in ranch veggie dip, and while I thought about making my own using this recipe a week ago (mostly for extra calories), I don't miss it at all now.
- One week left!
- Rooney asked for donuts and muffins this morning for breakfast. She loves scrambled eggs (often wants them for breakfast, lunch and dinner) and sausage, and has even started to like sugar snap peas, when two weeks ago she said she didn't like them! I think we'll go get her some donuts on her birthday next week, but it sounds like she's starting to realize that we don't get those treats very often anymore. I love looking at the #whole30kids or #kidseatingwhole hashtags on Instagram for ideas.
- I feel like I'm getting a little lax on my meals...I realized today at 2:30 pm that I hadn't eaten lunch yet. I also forgot to pack some cashews with me today so I don't have a fat portion to my lunch.
- I ordered two boxes of Girl Scout cookies today :-)
What I still miss/crave:
- Scratch Cupcakes
- Home-baked goods (peanut butter crunch bars)
- Spudnuts (donuts we get on vacation)
- A little treat before bed
- Girl Scout cookies
- Going out for ice cream as a family
A few weeks ago I sent two full bags of my old clothes to ThredUp. They kept 12 items for a total of $65.35 - an average of $5.45 per item. Many of the items have sold, but I wanted to let you know that these three are still available.
If you're new to ThredUp, be sure to use this link first to get $10 credit!
The selling process was smooth and the payout was worth it to me because I didn't have to take them to a local consignment shop or sell them on Instagram and ship them off individually (I keep going back and forth on creating an Instagram shop...). I wasn't wearing these things anymore so I'll gladly take the money to spend on something new! I do know some people who have tried selling at ThredUp and haven't been happy with the results, but I had a good experience.
Has anyone else bought from or sold to ThredUp?