5 Ways My Style Has Changed Since Becoming a Mom
When:Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2014
My outfit details:
Rooney's outfit details:
Since becoming a mom, my style has definitely changed. There are just some things that don't work as well for me right now. No big deal; I'm embracing it!
- No high heels. I loved wearing heels when I was pregnant - it made me feel pretty and super feminine. But wearing heels now makes me slow and awkward, which is not a recipe for success when I am chasing or carrying a 29-pound toddler. I've got to be quick and steady, so it's flats or low heels for me!
- No dry-clean-only items. I brought a dry-clean-only cardigan to the hospital to wear the day after Rooney was born (cue the laughing). A week later, it had spit-up all over the shoulders (not to mention it's a little itchy when cuddling a newborn). Those sweaters are now tucked away and I've replaced them with cotton ones that hold up great in my normal washing routine at home.
- A bigger purse. I'm no longer carrying a diaper bag, but still need a large purse that has diapers, wipes, a changing pad, books and a sippy cup. It gets heavy, but all those items come in handy when we're out and about.
- No low-rise pants. I didn't seek out low-rise pants before I had a baby, but they're somewhat difficult to avoid when shopping. High-rise jeans aren't as easy to find, but I've got to put my foot down now and say no to low-rise. They are just not a good idea with how much time I spend sitting on the floor or bending over, nor do I think they're comfortable.
- No necklaces. The only jewelry I wear besides my wedding ring is an occasional necklace. But, for several months, I've avoided wearing a necklace because they either get in the way when I'm changing a diaper, or Rooney tries to grab and eat them. I have a couple necklaces that are ruined because there is saliva that got stuck inside. Gross, I know. BUT. Have you heard of teething necklaces? They are made with wooden beads covered in yarn. So, it's totally safe for Rooney to chew on, and it's a pretty necklace, too! It's a win-win.
How has your style changed in the past couple years?