Finch, 5 months
This boy is such a joy! The best word I have to describe him is "jolly." He smiles often and with his whole body!
- Weight: 20.4 pounds (!!!)
- Length: 25.5"
- Head circumference: 16.5"
- Clothing size: 6-12 months
- Diaper size: 4
- Being held
- Tummy time (he can be happy on his tummy for 45 minutes!)
- Grabbing hair
- Car naps
- Power naps (20 minutes)
- Being naked
- Foot massage
- Eye contact
- Chewing on my fingers
- Trip to the orchard (and train ride)
- Halloween (he was a hot dog)
- Dentist (tongue and lip tie revisions)
- Ride in the double stroller
- Sitting in the high chair
- Playing in the exersaucer
We are still nursing! I say this with an exclamation point every month because it's been one of the biggest surprises. I've freaking grown a baby from 8 pounds to 20 pounds! It has been hard at times, but I now see it as an incredibly special gift. I still wonder what it will be like when he gets teeth, though!
I do not respond well to my breast pump (I only get like an ounce total each time, and I know he takes 4+ at each feeding), so I don't think I would have been able to keep up as a working mom without our on-site daycare. I feel really lucky to be able to nurse him during the day.
We will start solids next month!
I never thought a baby could be so happy with such little sleep. His naps are usually 20 minutes long, but occasionally up to 40 (or 2 hours if he's rocking with grandma or nursing). At night I nurse him around 7:00 pm and then he goes to bed. He sleeps in a swing in our bedroom, or he will sleep in the car if we're out and about. He still gets up 3-4 times a night, and when he was sick it was 5-6 times.
- Rolls from back to front and front to back
- Likes to play in the exersaucer
- Can sit unassisted for about 8 seconds
- Likes to grab his toes
- Can be happily awake for two hours
- Is a very social little guy!
- We met with a pediatric dentist this month and decided to have his tongue and lip ties revised. It was a really hard decision because his weren't too severe, but I really thought it could improve his latch and make breastfeeding more gentle. It took a couple weeks, but I have seen great improvement in his latch, so it was totally worth it. He still spits up some and is gassy, but those things have improved too!
- He had his 4-month check-up and shots
- He went through a growth spurt a couple days after turning 4 months. He ate a lot more often and spent more time at each nursing session. When he goes through a growth spurt, I notice I am a lot more hungry and thirsty, too.
- We bathe him once a week, on Sundays (but we should probably do it twice a week..)
- He had another cold this month. Poor guy has a hard time breathing through his nose when he's healthy, so it was really a bummer.
- He goes to the chiropractor every other week
- His hair is growing really fast!
- Doc says his head shape is perfect!
Each month has gotten better and better. It has been an adjustment, but it's really fun having two kids! (We do look forward to sleeping more, though! I go to bed by 9:00 pm every night just to feel like I get enough rest.)
Eric was teaching a Financial Peace class this week and it was the first time I didn't feel at all anxious about being home with both kids by myself. What a breakthrough!
Finch, you have taught me a lot in your 5 months of life. I am realizing just how little control I have :-) Thank you for your smiles. You are such a joy to our family.