make your own lemon shake-ups
You know those delicious lemonades you get from the state fair for $5? Well, you can make them at home for about 50 cents! Which is what you do when your husband comes home from Costco with a dozen lemons...
They are so yummy – I love them like Lorelei loves coffee (speaking of Gilmore Girls, we are re-watching Season 1 right now and I love it even more the second time). We often make them for our family and friends when they come over...everyone is always so impressed, but they are super easy to make!
- Lemon (each lemon makes 2 drinks)
- Wash your lemons! You want those rinds to be clean since they'll be in your cup.
- Cut a lemon in half, then quarter each half. I like to try to remove as many seeds as possible during this step so I don't drink them later.
- Take a 16 oz cup (or larger) and add 1/4 cup sugar.
- Add the quartered lemon and mash it with a muddler (or handle of a wooden spoon) for 10 seconds. Watch that lemon juice soak the sugar!
- Add 1 cup ice.
- Add 8 oz water.
- Add a lid or another cup and shake for 30 seconds.
- Drink! I think these are best enjoyed immediately, but follow your own heart (and taste buds).
Here's a little video, if you're a visual learner :)
P.S. If you're up for another yummy summer drink, check out my recipe for rhubarb slush!